Thursday, September 25, 2014

Golden Poem

A new poem of mine is up in the latest issue of Literary Orphans. The poem is called "Golden Day." It's a short one, so I hope people take a minute to check it out and give it a read.

This latest issue of Literary Orphans is the Ingrid issue, after Ingrid Bergman. So I submitted a poem that was partly inspired by Bergman's great performance in the classic wartime love story, Casablanca. If you've never seen Casablanca, well...what's wrong with you? Here are a few scenes to give you an idea of the movie's complex and honest emotion:



The other inspiration for the poem was some extraordinary footage and photography of Serengeti lions released by National Geographic about a year ago--and with which I've been obsessed ever since. One of the snippets of video is titled Golden Day, and it's my favorite. I've watched it over and over, fascinated by the sense of timelessness and heaven on earth it presents. I suppose Serengeti lions and classic black-and-white movies make for a strange mix to inspire one poem--but what can I say? The mind is a wonder.

Photo credit: National Geographic

Whatever you think of my poem and my ideas, though, please check out Literary Orphans' Ingrid issue. There's loads of beautiful work on offer. I recommend reading Will Viharos' note on Ingrid Bergman as a starter. This is the second time I've had the honor of being published by Literary Orphans. All my thanks to LO's editors and founders, Mike Joyce and Scott Waldyn, for their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment