Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Wayfarer in Her Natural Habitat

Hello! My name is Rene, and this is my first post on Writing and Wayfaring, a blog for women who like to travel. I’ve created this blog as a way to share some of my stories and observations from my many journeys over the years, and hopefully from the many journeys I have ahead of me.

I decided to start a blog for three reasons. One, my eldest sister and middle brother told me to. Two, I entered a travel story of mine into a contest recently. The contest results won’t come for awhile, but the truth is I had a great time just writing the story, regardless of what comes of it. And I’d like to have more of that pure joy, that comes from the combination of my love of travel and my talent for writing, in my life. Three, I am the owner of a new women-only tour company, Wayfaring Women Tours. I know it can be a big decision for some people to take even an independently planned vacation, much less one that’s organized by someone they’ve never met. My hope is that some of the women who learn about my company and are considering signing up for one of my tours might stumble across this blog, and then get a chance to know a little more about me and what they might expect from a tour with me. Hopefully they’ll learn they can trust me, and also enjoy the stories I share. And that’s really what this blog is about--sharing my own tales of the road and inviting any readers out there to share their own travel stories, questions, advice, and the like as well.

Beyond that, I’d love to offer up an idea of exactly what kind of posts to expect in the future. But I haven’t planned that far down the blogging road, which I think is only fitting for something devoted to the art of rambling. Rambling of the feet, that is. I promise to try and keep a limit on the ramblings of my mind, and just say I hope to feature personal adventure stories, travel book reviews, fabulous and funny travel pics (or my attempt at them anyway--I’m no Pulitzer-winning photojournalist), tourism-related tidbits, maybe dispatches from the road, and whatever other interesting stuff happens to fall out of my banged-up old backpacks and overstuffed suitcases of travel mishaps and adventures.

In the meantime, strictly for scientific "in-the-field" purposes, here’s a rare shot I discovered of a wayfarer in her natural habitat:


Me, in southern Bolivia, relaxing on train tracks bound for Chile


No comments:

Post a Comment