Monday, November 18, 2013

On The Poetry Front

This is a post for the super-fans--because I have so many. ;-)

A poem of mine is being published in the latest Journal of Modern Poetry, a publication put out by Chicago Poetry Press. The poem is called "Life's Reversal." It's about a dog. And life. And snow. That's all I can say about it.

If you'd like to read it, you can order a copy of Journal of Modern Poetry 16 (or JOMP 16) through the Chicago Poetry website (I'll provide a link when it's available). You can also get a copy in person at the Chicago Book Expo in Uptown on Sunday, November 24th. The Chicago Book Expo is free to attend and will be open from 11 AM to 5 PM at St. Augustine College at 1345 W. Argyle. Chicago Poetry will have a table there, along with tons of other Chicago-area publishers and authors, and will be selling copies of the latest JOMP.

Also at the Chicago Book Expo will be a reading by poets featured in JOMP 16 from 5 PM to 6 PM. I'll be there and will be reading my poem, time permitting. Here's a link to the Facebook invite for the reading. Thanks to CJ Laity of Chicago Poetry for putting together JOMP and organizing a reading at the expo.

While the poem of mine featured in the latest JOMP is not a travel poem, another poem of mine that was inspired by my travels was published a few years ago in a kind of earlier incarnation of JOMP. In 2008, my poem "Front Porch Swing in North Carolina" was published in chapbook 3 of Cram, also put out by CJ Laity and Chicago Poetry Press. That poem was written after a trip to Asheville, North Carolina, in the summer of 2008. Again, I can't reprint it here, and meanwhile nearly all copies of Cram 3 were given out at the 2008 Printer's Ball at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago that summer. But you can read the poem in an anthology of all the Cram chapbooks, Poetry Cram: The Ultimate Chicago Poetry Anthology, published last year and available for purchase on Amazon.

Hostel in Asheville, N.C. Inspiration for "Front Porch Swing in North Carolina." See, you can spot a tiny corner of the porch swing to the left of the flag. I assure you my poetry is better than my photography...sort of.
Finally, for those of who you are super-obsessed with me, or with poetry, or both, the one poem of mine online that you can read (as far as I know) is right here on this blog: "Australia."

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. A couple of the links in this post aren't working at the moment (as of Monday morning, Nov. 18). We had some very bad storms yesterday here in Illinois (my own power was out for a few hours yesterday), and they seem to have knocked out some Internet servers in the area. Hopefully all links will be working soon.

    ReplyDelete